As some of you already know, Sunday night was a really crappy ending to a great weekend. I spent a fantastic couple of days in the bay area with Kelly. The bad ending began at SFO when I almost missed my flight because the security lines were longer than I have ever seen them. Little did I know, that was the least of it! Drew and the girls had just picked me up from the airport and we were headed home...WHAM!...it felt like a bomb went off in our car. NAILED from behind. Everyone is fine (thank GOD!), but it was VERY scary not only for the girls, but for Drew and I, too. We had just gotten off the interstate at Hampden and I-25 and were sitting at the stop light, waiting for the light to turn green. We were hit from behind by a "suspected" drunk driver, who witnesses say was going somewhere between 80 and 90 miles an hour on the interstate. There were no tire marks, we heard no screeching from behind, so it was clear she didn't slow down at all. When she hit us, we hit the truck in front of us and she ended up in the middle of the intersection. We were so fortunate quite a few people stopped and help us call 911 and most importantly, saw the whole thing happen and gave written statements to the police. I'm anxious to get the accident report to see if it says what her blood alcohol levels were. She was taken by ambulance, but she walked over (stumbled, actually) herself and got in, so she was obviously fine. Her airbags deployed and her car is totaled...not sure about ours yet, but most likely they'll try to fix it since it's mostly on the rear end...who knows.
Anyway, we are so thankful everyone is okay. What happened that night has made us feel quite reflective this week, SO thankful for our good graces and whatever angel upstairs who was looking out for us. Had she hit us any differently, we know the outcome would have been much worse. The girls are doing great...asking a lot of questions, which we are happy to talk through with them. They are amazing little people, and went to school the next day like troopers.
Here are some photos...they're hard to see because it was so dark, but we tried for insurance purposes. We'll keep you posted on what's next.
Above: not sure how well you can see it, but above is her (totaled) car on the tow truck.
No comments:
Post a Comment