Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

...sniff, sniff...
She started school this morning, and she seemed so very small. As I walked there beside her in the Kindergarten hall. And as she took her place beside the others in the class, I realized how all too soon those first few years can pass. Remembering, I saw her as she first learned how to walk. The words that we alone made out when she began to talk. This little girl so much absorbed in learning how to write. It seems as though she must have grown to girlhood overnight. My eyes were blurred and hastily I brushed the tears away. Lest by some word or sign of mine I mar her first big day. Oh how I longed to stay with her and keep her by the hand. To lead her through the places I thought she wouldn't understand. And something closely kin to fear was mingled with my pride. I knew she would no longer be a baby by my side. But she must have her chance to live, to work her problems out. The privilege to grow and to learn what life is all about. I realized I must share my girl with friends and work and play; She's not a baby anymore -- she's in Kindergarten today. ~author unknown
Seriously...what more can I say? (don't answer that...it's rhetorical, of course...cause you all know me and I always have a lot more to say...especially if it's sappy!) As I type through my tears, all of the thoughts and feelings of this anonymous writer were exactly as I was feeling this morning. After three years of preschool, I thought I would be okay sending her off to kindergarten. I mean, anyone who knows Emerson, knows how ready she is to be there...full time. But something was different about today. It was her FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN! I kept thinking of the first day I ever took her to preschool. She was so excited to start preschool and go, as she would so confidently tell me, "all my byself" (no--that's not a typo), but when we walked in her classroom, she would not let go of my leg. She screamed like crazy as they peeled her off of my legs...the picture is so clear in my head. I was struggling to hold Sutton, trying to pick Emerson up and comfort her, while at the same time pulling my sunglasses off my head putting them on so no one, including Emerson, would see the tears streaming down my face. Maybe I thought that would happen again today, I don't know. But it was the total opposite...I was the one that wanted to hold on to her legs...I didn't want to let go. She said good-bye, gave us all kisses and hugs, and walked confidently into her classroom. She is such a big girl now, and I am so proud of who she has become. Yes, there are definitely days I had thought about putting her out with the recycling or donating her to charity (even once or twice last week), but she is my baby...kindergarten or not. :-) What a major milestone...one that I didn't anticipate being so difficult for me until I was there this morning, watching her walk into her classroom and so easily say goodbye to Drew and I. I also realized that this big school was finally her's...she really was old enough to be a student here. How in the heck did that happen? Believe it or not, I did much better today fighting back the tears than I did on her first day of preschool...but not Sutton. She was a mess! We chalked it up to her FINALLY realizing today that she really isn't five, she really isn't in kindergarten, and most importantly, she really isn't Emerson's twin sister...she is younger! Hard thing for a 3.5 year old to process, when all her life she has thought age was just a number, and she really was Emerson's age.
We tried to make today so special. We got up extra early and Drew cleared the first part of his morning so we could take the girls out for breakfast and go to school together, as a family. It was wonderful, and something I hope she will remember as long as we will. We love you so much sweet Eme and are so proud of you!
Our big girl modeling her new backpack...even though there was nothing in it! :-)

Even with her goofy smile, Sutton was really excited for her sister...until it became time for her to say goodbye.

Posing with her proud Mom and Dad.

This is her good friend, Quincy. They were in preschool together, but are not in the same class this year. Still get to play together at recess, though!

Here she is with her teachers, Mrs. Collier and Mrs. Babbs. They are fantastic!

Mom and her girlies celebrating with friends after school at Red Robin, of course! Just to show you how much she has grown, this was her first day of preschool in September of 2005...I should have believed my mom when she told me how fast it goes...

4 comments:

Rachel said...

So sweet. I still can hardly believe that these kids are old enough to be away from us for that long! Congrats on a great first day!!!

Kristina said...

I can hardly believe that Emerson started Kindergarten today - such a big girl! Thanks for sharing the pictures and your beautiful heart for your girls. Hope to see you soon!

erin said...

Very sweet. You captured it all so well. I hope she has a wonderful year. What a great kiddo!
love you Eme...erin

I'm Tara. said...

Awww - the pictures are great. She looks like she's ready to go! What beautiful girls you have.

Oh, and I totally know Mrs. Babbs! Small world, huh? Tell her hello for me. She would know me (if she even remembers me) as Tara Kennedy. I did my speech internship at Ames Elementary -- she would know Betty, my mentor. How funny is that! We have Mitchell's first day of kindergarten on the 2nd - I can't believe it. Hope you're well. :)